Barbecued Short Ribs
- 5 to 6 lbs. short ribs
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, minced
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. prepared mustard
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1. Melt the butter in a large casserole or dutch oven over medium heat
2. When butter is melted and hot, brown the short ribs, a few at a time. Remove and drain on a paper towel.
3. Pour off excess grease, leaving just enough to coat the bottom of the pan.
4. Add garlic, onion,, and celery and saute for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Stir in flour until smooth.
6. Stir in all remaining ingredients.
7. Return ribs to the pan and add 1 cup of water.
8. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 3 hours, or until meat is very tender when pierced with a fork. Remove loose bones before serving
-Recipe from Cooking with Helen McCulley Beside You